Thursday, August 9, 2007

Back to the future....

Remember that part in Back to the Future where Michael J. Fox is standing in front of that giant tv screen and things pop up on demand? Or the scenes in Star Trek where people talk to the faceless whatever she is and ask for things and they appear? My house is slowly (or quickly) headed in that direction.

I have a degree in software engineering. I do understand a few things. But I am completely amazed at what Richard is doing in our home with the network. Somehow (and only he really knows WHY!), we have both DSL and Cable running into our house. We have servers that still do work for our business providing email and web hosting. We have cable tv (a recent switch from DirecTv). We have Tivo again (thank God because I hated that ridiculous HD-DVR from DirecTv). We have an XBox 360. We have our personal PCs and laptops.

Somehow he's engineered this place so that through our wireless network, we can share files across all of the devices. We can watch a slide show of our wedding photos via the XBox on the tv downstairs. We can download a movie off of the internet, store it on one of the servers and then import it into our Tivo box and watch it in the bedroom. We can listen to internet radio through the Tivo. It's unreal.

Pretty soon, the kids will be sending me video of their recess through their cell phones, I'll get a notification on my laptop and then send the video downstairs to watch it on the XBox! :) HA! Won't that be great.

"COMPUT--AH.....make my dinner, please!!!"

1 comment:

Christie's Corner said...

Richard just messaged me and said that while on break at work, he was able to view our Tivo menu and set up new shows...over the internet. Sweet!