Sunday, August 12, 2007

Kindergarten, here we come...

Well, this is it. That day on the calendar that I've been so looking forward to and also quite dreading. The one that marks the last day that Carson (our oldest) is home with me. Tomorrow, he starts Kindergarten. I'm thinking of all that I have to do between now and then--pack his lunch (will he be able to open the yogurt top by himself? don't forget to send a spoon!), iron his little uniform (did I buy the right size pants? are his shoes solid-color enough to keep him out of the principal's office? for heaven's sake, don't forget his belt!), show him one more time how to use his alarm clock, make sure the camera has batteries (and plenty of free memory), read "the kissing hand" together (and try not to cry) and most of all PRAY (for his protection, for his learning opportunities, for his friendships and for all the other things I might forget or not even know to pray for but somehow that God in his grace will cover them anyway).

When we went to orientation on Friday, his new teacher greeted him and in the sweetest and most sincere voice she said, "Oh, Carson! It's so nice to meet you....I have been praying for you!" Yep, my tears instantly welled up a bit. How blessed we are to send our child to a place where he will be loved and cared for. It won't be like home, of course, but it will good in different ways. Heaven knows the child is ready. He reads everything he can to me and he hasn't had a day of school yet! It'll be awesome to see how much he learns this year.

Thankfully, my parents are coming over tonight and will be here to send Carson off in the morning with us. They'll also serve as tissue fetchers for me and as some distraction while from 8:15 until 3:00 I watch the clock and wait to go pick up my baby.

God is teaching me, though, that it is HE who loves Carson the most and it is HE who provides guidance, protection and who orders the steps of righteous men (and children). So, I'm reminded almost daily lately that even though he'll be out of my care, he's never out of our Father's care and I can rest and rejoice in that!

1 comment:

Judy said...

What a huge event in all of our lives! Moving from the familiar out into the unknown....huge lesson for a little 5 year old and his parents. But you are right...God is indeed watching over Carson and protecting him. It will be such a blessing to see what God does in Carson's life as he begins this road toward his calling.