Sunday, December 9, 2007

Emergency extraction and mythical beings...

It came in at 4 months. At 18 months, it was chipped in a traumatic incident involving high velocity and a metal high chair leg. Since then, it's just been there....waiting....to fall out. Or, to be emergently extracted which is exactly what happened to Avery's front tooth on Thursday morning. We had the privilege of taking her to a wonderful pediatric dentist's office where the whole procedure was about as fun as an extraction ever could be. She had a tv with the Disney Channel on overhead the entire time. She was numbed a bit. Whimpered a bit. And then it was over. Following was about and hour of crying, but all in all, she was SO brave! She proudly carried her prize tooth in a giant tooth necklace and plastered free stickers on her shirt. She now sports about the cutest toothless grin I've ever seen. I think she'll be singing "All I Want For Christmas Is My 2 Front Teeth" for about 4 more Christmases, bless her little heart. It's the first tooth loss in our little family. She did great!

Interestingly, in the days prior to this landmark event, the kids had been asking about Santa and why we don't believe in him. I've explained to them that Santa is not real. He's just a fairy tale story about a man who lived a long time ago. I told them that some parents pretend that Santa leaves gifts for their children but really, it's the mom and dad leaving the gifts. "So.....their parents LIE????" my children gasp in horror. Well.......in short.....yes.

But, I'm guilty just as well. Because for whatever reason that I have yet to identify, as quickly as I proclaim the "ruse of Santa," I announced that the Tooth Fairy in all of her glory would be paying a visit to Avery on Thursday night. We talked all about what the Tooth Fairy might bring and how she would get into Avery's room in the middle of the night. Friday morning, when Avery bounded into the kitchen, she proudly displayed her Disney princess fingernail kit and 5 crisp dollar bills that were left for her.....by the Tooth Fairy. Because SHE'S REAL. And.....by george, Avery earned it!! (Even if I fibbed just a tad.)

No comments: