Saturday, September 6, 2008

Why?

I have one day of the week when I can sleep in. It's called Saturday. Bless-ed Saturday. School isn't calling, church isn't calling. There is NOTHING calling me on Saturday mornings and one of my greatest delights is being up a tad late on Friday night knowing that on Saturday I can sleep in.

I'm not talking about the sleep in of my high school days when I would pop my eyes open around 9am and then just stare at the walls until I felt like getting up around 10am. I'm also not talking about the sleep in of my college days which consisted of finally rolling out of bed at 12:30pm just in time to hit the cafeteria before it closed for lunch. I'm talking about maybe an extra hour of sleep…..like waking up at the oh-so-late hour of perhaps 8am. I would even appreciate 7:30am.

My littlest, Richie, enjoys sleeping in every day. Such to the point that I have to physically drag him off of the top bunk at 6:50 each morning while he whines and cries and refuses to move even one muscle to help me get his sleepy behind up!

But on Saturdays? For the last three weeks IN A ROW, Richie has burst into my bedroom BEFORE 6:30am cheerful as ever and needing something right-that-minute from me.

WHY?????

His standard requests at this terrible hour are:

  1. "Can I have a snack? " For which there are follow up request such as "I can't reach it!" And, "Can you open it for me? "
  2. "I want to watch a show!"--which implies in MY bedroom while he sits on MY pillow with HIS blanket and all other manner of his comforty items. This also has the standard follow-up request of "Turn it up!" He could at least offer a "please"…right?
  3. And today's request…"My controller is out of batteries." My response…"Get a different one." Seriously. I shouldn't have to walk him through that process at 6:30am on Saturday. It hearkens back to the morning of the "nunCHUNK" in the toilet.

Help. Me. Please!

6 comments:

natalier said...

Amen, Sista. It was 6:27 here this morning..."I need breffkist"...Now?!...You need it now?!

Natalie K said...

I feel your pain. It is one teeny tiny day on the blurb of the calendar. 4 chances a month. I even get up on Sunday at 6:30 to be there to teach the 8:30 class. Against your better judgment..make a deal that if they let you sleep you will leave pop tarts out on the counter for Saturday bfast! It's magic. That is if your kids even know the foreign word "poptart" you may have to translate. Ta Amo es Poptart!

Xapaula said...

I too feel your pain. For me my Saturday started at 5am. And for no known reason other than Xander was up. some things are just not just.

Kara said...

Oh girl. I'm with you on that one! I do not like having conversations at that time of day. Little girl tries to make requests and I try to play like I'm asleep. She only proceeds to shake me and yell "mommy!" right into my poor ear drum. The requests tend to get louder and I tend to feel really grouchy. Don't they know that 8:00 is so much better than 6:30??? Let's tell em'!

Cheryl said...

Uh, yep, hear ya all! I think small children have a built in Saturday sensor or something.... I have to drag Clara out of bed on weekdays, but for some bizzare reason she goes off like an alarm clock no later that 7:00 am on the weekend.

megsnbigd said...

Seriously? It's heading on TWO MONTHS since you posted. You have not one, not two, but THREE children that do STUFF. Funny, traumatic or otherwise...POST IT WOMAN!!!!