Friday, November 21, 2008

Fun times in the Wal-Mart bathroom…(TMI alert)

Richie and I did the grocery run today. The last stop of the morning was Wal-Mart and by the time we got there, my breakfast smoothie had made its way to the exit and I had to use the facilities. Normally, I try to avoid such trips, but today it could not be helped. Richie happily tagged along after I promised we could go back and revisit the Lightning McQueen pillow that I peeled him away from.

I need to preface this story be letting you know that the kids had a little tummy trouble last week. I'm on high monitor for all restroom activities and have been asking all sorts of obnoxious mommy questions about the "status" of their goings. So, what follows is probably all my fault yet nevertheless embarrassing.

Richie requested to sit outside the restroom on the bench and wait for me, but I didn't trust the situation. So, he came in with me but opted to wait in the sink area. The restroom was empty so I felt it was ok. I mean, what in the world could he get into? In a public restroom. Out of my reach. Anyway…

Shortly, another woman entered. That's when Richie decided to start quizzing me. He asked, in loud echo-y fashion – "Mom, are you going POOP or PEE???"

SILENCE. Pretend he didn't just say that. Hope the lady next door didn't hear it.

Rich: "MOM! Are you going POOP or PEE???"

Me: "Can you just wait a minute please?"

Rich: "But are you going POOP or PEE???"

Me: "Richie, please. Be quiet."

Rich: "But MOM…are you going POOP or PEE???"

Me: (mortified) "Can we please just talk about it in a minute?"

Thankfully, he decided to end his line of questioning, but then decided to get down on the floor, peek under the stall door and announce, "Hey, Mom! I can SEEEEEE YOU!" I couldn't decide if I was more bothered that he was peeking in on me, that he was announcing it or that he was CRAWLING AROUND ON THE FLOOR OF THE PUBLIC RESTROOM!

Next time, I'm definitely bringing him all the way in with me. At least that way, I can physically hush him if he starts getting too nosey!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christie-
I could NOT stop laughing...I can just "feel" the telepathic signals you were sending him! :)
-Tara

natalier said...

Hee...hee...Don't worry about him crawling around on the bathroom floor. I had a friend whose 2-yr.-old daughter licked the seat at SDC. :)

megsnbigd said...

See? Isn't it fun to blog?! It brings us all SO much joy! Yes, they needs to be within "shushing" reach at all times! I know that other lady was laughing. Hard. But not because of his line of questioning but because the same thing happened to her last week!

Xapaula said...

I am still laughing. But wondering "Did she go poop or Pee". What a cliffhanger of a story.

Kara said...

Laughing out loud on this one. I knew you could get some competition going with that story you told about Avery peeing on the slide at the park....cuz you "told her too"! Awesomely funny.

Natalie K said...

Oh my word! This was totally worth breaking your blogging silence. I LOVE this story! I can imagine the torture you faced not being able to visually or physically communicate with him through the door. HA! Please tell me you did not have to face the lady at the sink..or You didn't wash your hands and ran out didn't you?!