Thursday, April 5, 2007

Cartoon madness

It just occurred to me this morning that the cartoons my kids have been watching lately are actually pretty violent. I'm normally quite vigilant about what they watch (no Scooby Doo, no Sponge Bob, no Doodlebops (that show totally creeps me out...no real person smiles that big)). But, what about Tom and Jerry which is the resounding FAVORITE among my kids? Every episode is about one of them trying to blow the other up with a stick of dynamite or pummeling each other's bodies with cast iron skillets or shooting each other face with guns!! Not to mention the second favorite around here (Looney Toons) with the likes of Yosemite Sam with his pistols, Elmer Fudd with his hunting rifle or Wylie Coyote running Bugs off a cliff and then slamming a mallet on top of his head! Seriously! Can those of you educated in modern kids cartoons even IMAGINE Dora shooting Swiper in the face?
Or the Little Einsteins drop kicking each other out of the rocket ship? Violent the vintage shows may be, but they are absolutely hilarious. Nothing gets my kids ROLLING with laughter like a good explosion of dynamite under Tom's butt!

No comments: