Monday, November 26, 2007

Small victories....

Today I'd had enough. Richie will be 3 in two months and heaven help us, it's time the child was potty trained. Today was the day. All previous efforts had failed and the child had no interest. So, we went to the last resort....the "bare bottoms" technique. I need not describe that in any further detail. I'm sure you can picture it in your mind adequately for yourself.

All morning Richie was in his BB state. He hasn't an ounce of modesty, so this really wasn't a big deal to him. It started getting a little bizarre for me when he was doing back flips off the couch. But, I thought I'd best not stifle his freedom...it was after all in the best interest of humanity that we make this small sacrifice, enduring his nakedness, in order to get him trained.

From 9am until 11:30 he was BB. I fed him plenty of juice and water, so I knew he was primed. At 11:30am, the hour had come. I took my stand. I sat him on the potty and commanded him to GO. He cried. And screamed. And wailed. "I DON'T WANT TO GO PEE PEE! I DON'T WANT TO BE A BIG BOY!!! I WANT TO GET UP!!!!!!!!" This display lasted for about 10 minutes during which I was rehearsing the blog entry where I would tell all about how I'm a terrible mother for letting my child run around stark naked all day and then forcing him to sit on his potty chair for an entire quarter hour.

Then, it got quiet. Suspiciously quiet. I figured he was either asleep at the wheel or was busy knotting up an entire roll of toilet paper. I waited....and then....the SHOUT....."MOMMY! I DID IT!!!"

I burst into the bathroom and lo and behold....he did it. I don't think pee in a small bowl has ever looked so beautiful to me. Since the Brownes celebrate by dancing, Richie and Avery and I sprang into a new "Pee Pee Dance." We danced all the way into the kitchen where we each partook of 5 M & M's and rejoiced.

Small victory? Perhaps. But, it pretty much makes my month!

1 comment:

natalier said...

Yeah! I feel your bane! I'm dancing with you. I still smile when I think about your blog entry that the greatest displays of parental affection always involve some sort of body fluid.