Friday, February 29, 2008

Squirmy McSquirm…

Today I took Richie and Avery along while I had my hair done. As most any girl can tell you, having your hair done is a very important day of the month in which you convey your deepest hair desires to your trusted stylist and then sit back for 90 minutes and pray that it all works out in the end. The kids usually go with me and take along their toys. Today was no exception. Except, unlike usual, Richie felt he needed to use my lap as a springboard for all of his activities about the salon. He repeatedly shimmied up onto my lap setting off a choking-hacking sound from me as the cape momentarily cut off my oxygen. Seconds later, he would bound down off to his next adventure which could have been any number of truly important and potentially embarrassing things such as: pilfering through the drawers at the register desk (trying to find the suckers), asking all of the stylists where the trash can was all the while with his chewed up orange gum on the end of his finger, throwing his puzzle pieces underneath the coffee table to see how far they'd slide on the wood floor, asking the stylist for a drink (which he graciously received in the form of a tiny water bottle), and of course singing Hey There Delilah at the top of his lungs when it came on over the sound system…."Ohhhh it's whatcha do da meeeeeee"….can you hear it? I'll say the worst of it was when I moved over for the ever delicate waxing portion of my session. It was then as I laid back in the chair having hot wax rubbed on my forehead and having unruly eyebrow hairs ripped out from my face that Squirmy McSquirm decided to make his boldest move of the day climbing up over the arm of the chair, getting his foot stuck, screaming until I released him without being able to look and then plopped up on my chest and planted a big wet kiss on my chin. I don't know if you've ever been kissed while having your eyebrows waxed….it's kinda hard to concentrate on the moment. But, I'll take 'em when I can get 'em, I suppose!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, at least your eyebrows turned out ok. The first time I had them done (by a girlfriend) we were laughing so hard, her hand slipped up, smearing the hot wax up...when she ripped the strip off, she took half my eyebrow too. Not so funny.