Sunday, August 10, 2008

And so it begins…

…the beginning of the going away. My little girl is growing up and spreading her wings a little more tomorrow. As I tucked her in tonight, I prayed over her that her path would be smooth, that her mind would be open to all that God has for her and that her relationships would grow in new and exciting ways. Then, I got a little misty-eyed as I told her that this was her last night as a non-school girl…at least for the next 15 or so years. She snickered as if it was nothing. I set her alarm clock, turned on her music and gave her our traditional tickle. I kissed her goodnight and kissed a sweet goodbye to the way it's been since her birth.

Tomorrow, a new world begins.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you ever believe that we'd flash forward from Mr Craft's Algebra class in the mornings to Mommies sending our little ones off to school?? It just seems like a few seconds ago we were in high school, and in another flash, our babies will be there!! Hang on and enjoy the ride girl!

Xapaula said...

Maybe I am a little hormonal, but i just sobbed as I read this post. I have one more year before Dana starts school

Kara said...

Mom's know how to bring out the water works in other mom's - don't they? I am sure tomorrow will be an emotional day. Hopefully - Avery will have an amazing time on her first day of school!

Enjoy having only one little one at home for a few hours! :-)

megsnbigd said...

I cried a little. You're right. We're kissing it away. The way it's been and goodbye to the way it will never be again. Ugh! Maybe my dad was right..."change is bad, a lot of change is very bad".

Cheryl said...

Oh gosh, at least I know now I'm not the only sappy Mommy out there that cries over the thought of their little one and the "big kid" school activities. Clara's just going to pre-school for goodness sake! But when the teacher sent me a picture of her and another little girl with Chef hats on in class the other day, I lost it. The first time I went to her school and saw her "cubby" I lost it. And I have to try terribly hard not to lose it every afternoon when I pick her up and she yells MOMMY from accross the playground and comes running. Of course, I'm pregnant.... here's hopeing I'll gain some control in a couple of months!