Saturday, June 28, 2008

A’s birthday party…

I was waiting to post on this until I had a few pictures to go along with the comments. I still have no idea how to work our new camera. I should have stuck with the old one.



Our baby girl turned 5 years old earlier this month and to celebrate we had a few of her friends over for an Olympics-themed party. Our kids have never seen the Olympics before and I tend to really get into watching them, so this was a fun little primer for the festivities in August!

As each of the children arrived, we asked them to choose a country that began with the first letter of their first name which they would represent in the games. Most of the children chose a normal-ish country such as Kenya, China, Mexico. We did have one little squirrel that announced his country was Djibouti. And, of course we all had great fun yelling Ja-Booty all day long. In fact, I still call him Ja-Booty….three weeks later.

In preparation for the opening ceremony, we also asked each child to name three things that they are really good at or enjoy very much. We used these pronouncements to introduce each of them and it went a little something like this:

(Olympic theme song playing in the background for full effect)...Introducing KEONA from KENYA!! Keona is a world champion ballerina, a colorer beyond compare and she is great at "imaginating!!" Then we would all clap and cheer as she marched around the swing set. You should have seen their little faces when they were marching around and everyone was cheering. It was so cute! They all looked so proud.



After that, we had four or five games all planned out by fabulous Daddy….soccer kicks, 50 yard dash, golf, and the water relay. We had to call it quits a little earlier than we had planned because the children were not doing so well in the heat. I certainly didn't want anyone fainting on my watch, so we headed inside for cake and gifts and then back out again for the medal ceremony.



All in all it was a great day! Lots of memories and silly moments. Here are a few pics:



3 comments:

Natalie K said...

It was one of the best themed parties I have been too. And we know parties. You did such a great job. My ladies had a super blast. Who's birthday is next? N

Xapaula said...

what a fun party. You should go into business where you host kid parties.

megsnbigd said...

Hooray, finally some pictures! It was a great day. Super fun party. Now I'm all keyed up for the Olympics. Man, I missed my chance I should have tried out...