Friday, March 14, 2008

Sing, sing, sing…

My good friend Natalie wrote a get-you-thinking post the other day about music in which (among other things) she kindly credited me with helping to broaden her musical tastes during our two years together as college roommates. I've always liked just about every kind of music (except of course the "nasty hard core devil stuff…you know what I mean"). I love Bon Jovi and John Mayer. Miley Cyrus and James Blunt. The Gaithers and Journey. Stephen Curtis Chapman and George Strait. The Killers and CFNI. My favorite radio station is Sirius 9 – The Pulse (90's and today). This morning on the way to school, I was delighting the children by Sirius-ly getting down to Marky Mark's Good Vibrations. That got me thinking about C&C Music Factory and Boyz II Men. I love the Goo Goo Dolls, Garth Brooks, Sarah McLachlan, Dave Matthews, Bela Fleck, Barry Manilow, Celine Dion….. I could go on and on.

But, like my friend Natalie, nothing really cuts to the heart like the old hymns. Earlier this week, Carson's Kindergarten class gave a performance during which they recited Psalm 23 and the poem "Whistles" and played a bell choir hymn. That's enough to make a momma break out the tissues. But, it was when they all sang Take My Life by Frances Ridley Havergal that I really choked up. Somehow unlike all the other music in the world, there are a handful of hymns that speaks right to the heart of me…my purpose and my hope.

Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days;
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.

Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet, and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee.

Take my voice, and let me sing,
Always, only, for my King.
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee.

Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose.

Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne.

Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful hymn! Thank you for sharing it.

natalier said...

yes...yes...yes...yes...Amen...and YES!...nuff said.